Friday, December 07, 2007

El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area

I've decided to compile a list of vertebrates occurring in El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area. More specifically, in the smaller northern section of the park that is directly behind my house.


View Larger Map

I may expand to the whole Natural Area once my mobility increases.

This afternoon, I took a short walk in the park from 1:15-1:40.

I saw or heard the following birds:
Western Scrub-Jay
Stellar's Jay
American Crow
Northern Raven
Yellow Rumped Warblers
Bewick's Wren
Chestnut-backed CHickadee
House Sparrow
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
Anna's Hummingbird
Turkey Vulture
Red Tailed Hawk

UPDATE:
(Added 12/9/07)
Red-shafted Flicker
Red-breasted Sap-Sucker
American Robin
Black Towhee
Bush Tit
Mourning Dove

(Added 12/11/07)
Hermit Thrush
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Spotted Towhee
House Finch

(Added 12/12/07)
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Downy Woodpecker

(Added 12/14)
Dark-eyed Junco
American Goldfinch

(Added 12/16)
American Coot
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Northern Mockingbird


I saw, or sign of the following mammals:
Eastern Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger)
Mule Dear (Odocoileus hemionus)
Voles (Microtus californicus? runways and burrows)
Pocket Gophers (burrows)
Fox (Grey fox? scat)

I didn't see any herps or fish.
(Added 12/16)
Southern Alligator Lizard (Elgaria multicarinata)

Nothing unusual so far. I will add more as I see it.

No comments: