Monday, February 16, 2009

Persickity-Split

I've often vented about how terrible science journalism in this country is. The journalists never seem to understand the science they are writing about, and the more I know about the topic, the less they seem to know. I am finding now that as I gain greater expertise in particular topics, large portions of the scientific papers on those topics, written by scientists and published in peer-reviewed journals, strike me as incorporating significant misunderstandings. I many cases, I feel these misunderstandings are significant enough to call the value of the papers into question. By the time I retire, I will undoubtedly think even my own work is crap. I begin to understand why the practitioners in some fields seem to be primarily interested in trashing each other's work.

No comments: